[DeTomaso] 73L dying

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Aug 6 20:32:19 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/6/07 13 56 33, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> Second, add your external fuel filter to the output line from the fuel
> tank,
> not to the output line from the fuel pump.

conked out in Las Vegas.   I thought I was doing the fuel pump a favor by
putting the filter between the tank and the pump.   In Las Vegas, I learned from
John Christian (25 years experience at Roush Racing, doing everything from
NASCAR crew chief to developing the new Ford GT engine, and now at GM racing in
charge of their drag race engine program) that this is NOT where the filter
needs to go.

The reason is that the fuel pump is designed to pump--NOT to suck.   He
likened it to using a straw--is it easier to suck liquid in, or blow it out?   He
said that putting an ordinary fuel filter in front of the fuel pump makes the
pump work MUCH harder than it is designed, and leads to premature failure.
Earl's and other companies make special 'pre-filters' which are much less
restrictive (and less effective) and are designed to go between tank and pump.   But
ordinary fuel filters go upstream of the pump, between pump and carb.

Jack's warning about the vulnurability of fuel filters is worth paying
attention to.   The plastic filters are 'safer', in that they are less likely to
break, but they should be mounted securely, and away from any excessive heat
source (i.e. exhaust systems).

Jack also wrote:

The little factory
filters in Holley, Rochester and Carter 4-bbl carbs are too small so they
plug up rapidly with trash. Remove & throw away as your external unit is not
only
much bigger, its a better filter.

>>>That's not very smart advice.   It's true that you should definitely not
rely on these as your ONLY fuel filters.   But these things are basically
post-filter-filters, designed as a last line of defense, protecting your
carburetor.   Think of it this way--if these screens plug up and your car stops, they
are doing their job.   A few minutes on the side of the road, fishing out the
junk from the screens, and you're on your way again.   Remove these screens, and
that junk goes into the carburetor instead, resulting in a full carburetor
rebuild.

I got to spend many hours broken down on the side of the road in the middle
of France because the fellow I was riding with had failed to fit these filters
on his Holley.   He was using old fuel line, which broke down and fell apart
internally, upstream from the fuel filter.   The bits of fuel line plugged up
the carburetor, the car quit stone dead, and as a result I had one of the
finest meals in my life in a delightful little bistro.

Well, that was actually a good thing.

But the car wound up going back across the English Channel on the back of a
tow truck, which wasn't.   Proper fuel filtration would have turned this
episode into a momentary delay, instead of an ordeal.