[DeTomaso] How do you know if the axles are aftermarket

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 20:49:55 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/05/07 12:07:10 PM, hoppe1 at cox.net writes:

<<My tech question is- if the rear axles have holes in the center can they
still be aftermarket strong axles?

Hard to say. Over the years I've found all sorts of stub axles in Panteras,
some apparently home-made (one had the axle flange welded to a shaft), some
professionally built. All the pro-made billet axles are solid but one or two of
the home-made ones were also solid-shaft.  If I had any doubts, I'd invest in
some insurance- like known billet axles from a Pantera vendor! Remember what
the rear quarter panels on Jim Saxton's GR-4 clone looked like after he broke an
axle at 'Vegas?

<<I bought a racer yesterday. It was the Round Table Pizza car if you know
it.  I bought it from the original owner.  A real nice guy.  It hasn't raced in
a while so it needs TLC. >>

Congratulations, Al. That early road-race Pantera, owned by Peter Brailler or
'Pizza-Pete', once a member of Nor-Cal Panteras, was built and maintained for
him by another ex-Nor-Cal guy Al Liest, who retired to Placerville CA. but
still builds engines. Call him at (530) 344-9263 with any questions- like maybe
where those axles came from. Good luck- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>