[DeTomaso] Pistons for stock calipers

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Aug 4 17:10:11 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/04/07 12:13:28 PM, dagny-kr at online.no writes:

<< Any suggestion of were to find replacement pistons or any solution to the
problem are welcome :) >>

There are no NOS replacement pistons for any Euro-made brake calipers that
I've ever found, hence the article in the POCA News a few years ago where when
it happened to me. I had to make billet pistons on my lathe, and the job was
not difficult. But the calipers in question were not Pantera Girlings but
aluminum ATEs originally intended for the front of '70s 911S Porsches (mounted in
back on our Pantera). I chose to use 316 stainless for new pistons, so corrosion
damage from water-saturated brake fluid is now a thing of the past. Other
than making some from scratch for your Girlings, finding a pair of used stock
calipers with pistons less damaged than yours is the only other practical option.
Big Porsche parts dealers sometimes offer a service where chemical stripping
followed by nickel plating and regrinding is done, but IMHO it is prohib
itively expensive. Wilwoods are a 4th possibility, and adapting them is not
difficult. Wilwoods have ss pistons.

And for the rest of us, change brake and clutch fluids each Spring to avoid
the problem. Good used parts are getting scarce, too. Good luck- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the
all-new AOL at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>