[DeTomaso] Engine Screen Needed

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 21:04:03 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/2/07 17 36 25, ollerabmut at msn.com writes:

> You can run the blue thunder intake with holley carb and a 1-1/2 inch
> dropped base air cleaner with a I think 2-3/4 inch element under the stock early
> screen. Thats how I ran my last set up with one of the stepped Mr gasket chrome
> tops. Other tops may fit different. I now am using a Weiand Excellerator 2v
> port matched to edlebrock heads and cut flat with holley carb and the same
> 1-1/2 inch drop base with a 3 inch K&N element and a K&N element open top under
> the stock early screen. It can be done you just have to take the time to
> measure and mix and match.

Mark,

I'm pretty certain that you have a later screen.   The early screens were
shaped differently, and a different length front-to-back, and had a lower
profile.   In fact, there were five different screens (!) according to the Ford parts
book, while the De Tomaso parts book only lists four variations.

Your car is later than mine, and mine came to me with what appears to be an
early-style screen with a later-style center section grafted onto it?   It is
held to the side pieces with small sheetmetal screws from above.   The late
screen has a solid center section, which is raised in the front (or more
accurately, where the rest of the screen turns down towards the ground, the solid
center extends forward somewhat), and is held in place with Dzus fasteners instead
of screws--what kind do you have?.

The early-style screen has a lip on the front edge which engages a sheetmetal
groove on the back of the crossmember under the window.   The late car
screens just turn down towards the ground in front, and are only held in place with
the Dzus fasteners on each side.

The intermediate screen is mounted in that style, while the early EARLY
screens are just mesh screen, with no center section.   The first-gen all-mesh
screens were used on cars through about March of 1972. (through serial number
2002); the Ford parts book shows another part number for 4840 through 5001, and
yet another one for cars after 5001 with the external fuel filler.

FWIW....