[DeTomaso] Black Again--renewing doorhandles etc.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 19:42:01 EDT 2007

Hi guys,

Back in January of 2004, in response to a query about how to refinish the
chalky-colored plastic door handle tubs, I suggested a wonder-product called
"Black Again" in the following post:

http://www.realbig.com/pipermail/detomaso/2004-January/037570.html

As a follow-up, Dick Koch hunted for the stuff and found it on the internet
(although I think it's probably available in some auto parts stores too):

http://www.realbig.com/pipermail/detomaso/2004-January/037576.html

In my original post (January 30, 2004), I said that I would shoot some
before-and-after photos the next day.

Well, now it's August 2, 2007, which is sort of *like* the next day--except
more of it.

Anyway, Kirk Evans made a 911 call to me this afternoon, looking for a set of
Dodge Omni mirrors to go on a show car that will be displayed at the Meadow
Brook Concours this coming weekend.   Those mirrors are impossible to find
anymore (unless you get lucky and find some in a junkyard), but he knew I had an
old set lying around in my somewhat ridiculous Pantera parts stash.

I dug 'em out, and they were looking mighty crusty indeed, suffering the
oxidization and chalkiness typically found with 1980s black plastic trim.   I got
out my trusty bottle of Black Again (which I purchased in about 1986), and
within moments one of the mirrors looked like new.

The stuff is actually UV-activated, meaning that after it is applied, the
item needs to be put in the sun for awhile to achieve maximum effect.

I used a bit too much (the product is designed to be used sparingly), then
set it out in the sun for just a second, then put it in the shade and set the
other one alongside and shot a photo to show the difference before treating it
as well.   The "after" mirror took less than 60 seconds of work to achieve that
effect.   The product is still a bit 'smeary' and afterwards I wiped a bit of
it off.   I didn't have the time to let them sit in the sun and fully dry, as
I had to pack them up and ship them off.

He'll get them tomorrow, put them in the sun for an hour or two, then stick
them on the car and they'll look absolutely fabulous!

Here's the before-and-after pic.

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/BlackAgain.jpg

This stuff is just great.   I think it's silicone-based, and thus is great
for use on all plastic trim (not just black).

Two thumbs up!