[DeTomaso] 351C mechanical fuel pump recommendations?

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Mon Apr 30 23:50:14 EDT 2007

I've been using the same off-the-shelf NAPA mechanical fuel pump for the
last 6 years.  I just replaced it with another one (also NAPA) after my fuel
pressure dropped to around 3 psi.  Then I figured out that the pressure drop
was actually a bad gauge, so the original pump was still working fine.  The
NAPA pump makes 8.5 psi that I regulate down to 7.5 psi.  I think it cost a
whole $32.

And as a testimonial to Mike Drew's Pantera - yes, he really has one and it
actually runs and drives.  I had a chance to drive it from the Orleans to
the track on Friday, which is 50 miles or so with some twisty bits in the
middle.  Nice handling, quiet, composed, comfortable seats, strong engine.
Except for a few odds and ends like AC and glove box hinges (if you twist
the glove box latch when the door doesn't have hinges then guess what
happens) that Mike hasn't quite gotten to yet, it's a very well sorted
Pantera.  I was highly impressed.

The fuel delivery thing was a bit confusing though.  The replacement fuel
filter that Serge and Craig came back from the auto supply with was one of
those glass canisters with a metal mesh filter inside.  Immediately after
starting the engine, fuel would completely fill the filter except for
occasional little tiny bubbles that let you know that liquid was moving
through it.  And then suddenly there would be this big slug of air.
Initially, we thought that the tank outlet pipe had a hole that was sucking
in air, but it kept happening even with a completely full tank.  It was
almost a Twilight Zone sort of thing.

I think Mikey might have Drewsastered himself.

Dave Bell