[DeTomaso] NPC- Infrared Non-Contact Thermometer/Floor Jack

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Mon Apr 30 13:13:08 EDT 2007

>> CARQUEST has an Infrared Non-Contact Thermometer manufactured under the
trade name "Performance Tech". Part # W89720 for $49.95.  Range 0 - 968 F,
higher than most I have seen in the $100 range. The manager said he has sold
more than 100 units and none have been returned.

I had bough an IR gauge from Radio Shack a few years ago to measure brake
rotor temperatures, but I found a lot of uses around the garage and house.
Everyone should have one in their tool bag.  Just yesterday when I was
driving back from Las Vegas in 105 degree weather and stop-and-go traffic, I
came up on a Pantera that had just pulled off the road.  The AC had quit
earlier, the car had over heated, and smoke filled the engine bay.  I pulled
out the trusty IR gauge and quickly diagnosed the problems.