[DeTomaso] Electrical questions--HELP!

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sun Apr 29 02:49:31 EDT 2007

Thanks for the note--I actually did charge the battery overnight with a
trickle charger, and you can read other details in the note I just sent to
the forum in answer to another note I got.

The Dakota Digital fan system seems to work great (assuming it's not the
cause of all my problems!)  The unit with an extra relay to control both
fans separately, plus the sending unit (ordered separately along with the
extra relay) cost about $125 plus shipping.

As far as the tach--I think the tach wire needs to go to one of the
terminals on the coil, but I'm not sure which.  Plus, I'm not sure which
wire from the car is the tach wire.  The diagram I have shows a white wire
and a black/w blue stripe wire both going to the tach, but it doesn't show
if they hook to different places.  There is a molex connector from the car
which has a pink wire on one terminal and a black wire with a blue stripe
tied to a black wire on the other terminal.  Currently, the pink wire is
going to the positive terminal on the coil and the black/black/w bule stripe
wire combo is not hooked to anything.  I'm wondering if the black/black w/
blue stripe wire combo is the one I should hook to one of the coil terminals
to get the tach working, but again, I don't know if that's true or if it is,
which coil terminal to use!  The alternator is new from Pantera Performance,
but I didn't get any instructions with it.

I'm really reticent to try anything until I find out why the ammeter is
pegging to the right--it's showing 75 amps flowing through it.  No wonder it
started smoking!

One more thing; when I lifted the ground while the car was running, the
ammeter went back to normal (just a little above zero), but since that also
caused the fans to stop, I realized I couldn't do the second ten minutes of
my cam break-in without risking overheating, so I just turned off the car
immediately.

Oh brother!

Thanks again,

Chris