[DeTomaso] Electrical questions--HELP!

Visit ProvaMo.com pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 28 19:54:11 EDT 2007

Chris,
Once you start/run the engine you need to let it run for the full break-in
period.
Usually there is assembly lube on parts, which gets rubbed off quickly so
don't run the engine just for a couple of minutes.
Be prepared.
Charge the battery with a trickle charger (or jumper cables from another
car.) until it is "full".
You can wire the fans temporarily either from the battery or the battery
charger, battery is preferred.
You could also have one or two home 'box' fans at the ready.
Check the oil level, fuel level (you don't want to run out, right ?), water
level, battery charge etc..
Once you start the engine, the thermostat should open within just a few
minutes, (2-5).  you WANT to see fluid flow,
so you might leave the water bottle open momentarily, and be prepared to add
water quickly as when the thermo opens
an air pocket may work itself out.
Leave the battery charger on the battery after start to take some load off
the charging system.
Once the thermo opens, and you have topped off the water, seal it up.  Go
forward and feel (hands) the radiator supply tubes getting warm.
(a couple of minutes.)
With a new engine there will be lots or worrisome smells, as chemicals burn
off.  That is where the box fans can help.
My car can run for 5-10 minutes before the radiator fans click on.  So after
about 5 minutes plug in the jumper wires to manually power the fans.
You could also put the box fans on the radiator instead of clearing out the
smells.
If you hear MAJOR clacking (valve train, rod knock, etc) shut her down fast,
but otherwise if it is just running poorly, let her run.
somewhere I wrote up the "break in procedure" I used on a couple of GT40
engine install parties, but I can't find it.
Chuck

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1:39 PM