[DeTomaso] Got the smoke back in!!! Prev Mangusta help!

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Tue Apr 24 01:20:22 EDT 2007

Pulled more of my mess apart today and determined that I only smoked one wire, due to the ignition switch grenading internally.....and shorting to the case....   Replaced the one melted wire, ohm'd out the neighboring wires to make sure that they were not shorted to the "bad" wire, and took my chances that all would be well.

I could get to all but about 30" of the wire, about the length of the door jamb....to free it from all the other wires, but it was taped about every 6" so there was no way I was gonna pull the old wire completely out.  Clipped the nasty ends off, put heat shrink on the ends "just in case" and left it alone.  Pushed the new wire thru OK and then taped it all in place, putting new ends on etc. This will be a great wire to put a 30A inline fuse on, in the future!

Installed a new generic ignition switch from NAPA. Fits in the hole OK, and the bezel/nut almost looks the same, only not as nice a finish. Not chrome.  I think I can get an original type switch, made off shore, sold off a different shore! Not a need right now!  Original application was a Fiat 600D or 850 Sedan without the locking column affair!  Local Fiat dealer is out of them, and has no hopes of getting more until someone will step up an manufacture them!

Car cranks up and my ACC position even works! Something that almost never worked before.....perhaps that was a foreshadow of troubles to come!

Now, what is that stuff in the puddle under the car....???  Something to do Tuesday!

See youse all in Vegas that's goin to Vegas!!!
Steve