[DeTomaso] Exhaust "Popping"

Tom Di Iulio diiulio at ix.netcom.com
Mon Apr 23 00:34:05 EDT 2007

Could there be a vacuum leak around the intake manifold or carb gasket?
Is the engine running okay excepting this issue or is it running badly?
Are all the rockers snugged down? Any chance you have a busted valve
spring? Could a bad coil cause this?
Hey, I'm just tossing some stuff out.....

"The Winged Warrior" is still getting a constant and loud "popping" out
of the exhaust each time I left off while driving. The higher the rpm
the louder and longer it "pops".
It's been doing this since the new (rebuilt) engine has been in.
So far I've changed:
Cracked distributor cap (MSD dist running off a MSD 6AL).
Plug wires.
Plugs.
Tried a substitute carb.
Retarded the timing.
It has the same exhaust system as on the previous 351c and the same
ignition (MSD 6AL). It never popped with the previous engine.

Any suggestions?

Dan

Dan F. Courtney

Excalibur Commercial Real Estate Services
La Jolla, CA

Phone (858) 551-5455
Fax (858) 551-5456