[DeTomaso] No Log in Required

Dick Koch arkoch at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 22 21:18:47 EDT 2007

For some select folks, I guess I struck a nerve.  The only reason I can
think that my opinion on this subject would bother anyone is that I
either didn't communicate my opinion clearly or the folks that took time
to post a response didn't read my post carefully. Probably some of both.

Let me make it clear to anyone that cares.  Chuck's announcement of his
new web site should have been *positively received by everyone* in the
Detomaso community.  However, that is not the case.

As regards to my previous post, there are two distinct topics in which I
expressed an opinion.

The first is a requirement to register for access to a general
information web site.

The second is a requirement to require registration to post your
personal information on a Pantera Registry.

As far as the second topic, registration for that purpose may make
sense.  While it won't prevent malicious posting of information, it will
minimize it to some extent.  And if Chuck has the intention of following
up on each post to insure that it is valid, all the better. As far as
the value of a Pantera Registry, that is a topic that someone else may
want to address.

However, the requirement to register for a general information web site
makes no sense if there is no ulterior motive, whether it be good or
bad.  It adds one additional complexity to a web site, both from the
developer's and user's standpoint.

The rational for registering that has been given, to obtain web site
paging statistics, is independent of a registration process.  Assuming
the Provomo site was generated using credible authoring software, that
software will provide all the web activity statistics a site owner
needs.  Proof in point are the hundreds of thousands of free information
web sites (as well as commercial sites) that exist without a
registration process.

In the FAQ area of the ProvoMo site, the statement, "Your registration
helps to determine what information visitors desire the most. Future
development is then focused there....." doesn't ring true.

Michael Shortt last note on this subject stated:

"As far as security for logging in, that's a joke and if the CIA and the FBI can be
hacked by a sophomore in college, then we should realize that isn't the
issue.  It's to track users so that a mailing list or other database can be
gathered for some purpose at a later date....."

Without a clear statement of that intent upfront, a registration process
to gain access to general information content is suspect.

Chuck would do himself a favor and provide, as other sites do, an
"optional"  registration process for folks that want to be on a mailing
list.  To do otherwise is snubbing your nose needlessly at the community
to which the site is supposed to cater.

Until Chuck clarifies his intent, there will be a contingent of the
Detomaso community that will wonder what he is up to.
As it stands, his web site design and explanation of his registration
requirement has unnecessarily created a negative view of his site.  What
a shame.

Dick Koch - Atlanta