[DeTomaso] Coating Pistons

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Apr 22 13:41:06 EDT 2007

Coating do work, but thats not the end of it. First, many of the coatings
cannot reliably be applied to used pistons- the coatings don't bond well even if
sand-blasted, and since some are ceramic, that stuff does not belong in an oil
pan! So you may need brand new pistons to start with and the manufacture then
applies the magic stuff in a computerized oven- for a price. They use
ceramics on piston crowns, teflon or similar stuff on piston skirts, anti-wear
coatings on gear teeth, bearings & cranks -there's a different coating for every
component. Some race teams swear by coatings, but I suspect street guys never get
that close to the edge to need coatings or benefit from the 5 extra horses
they might free up.
I also remember one engine builder trying several different piston crown
coatings for a magazine test some years ago, and had a total engine failure on the
dyno- the coating resisted high temperature just fine but the enormous heat
of combustion (with nitrous and apparently a slightly lean mixture) melted the
aluminum pistons underneath, until the coatings simply caved in for lack of
support! They found drops of melted aluminum dingle-berries in the pan; why the
oil supply didn't catch fire, they couldn't say.
Smokey Yunick used to drop his oil pan & carefully examine the undersides of
the pistons after a tuning session- when the oil began to look charred
underneath the crowns, it was time to richen up, back off ignition timing or get
another engine ready to go in....

If you do go with engine or transmission gear coatings, write up your
experieces for the newsletter- I'd be curious what advances have been made! Good
luck- J DeRyke<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's
free at http://www.aol.com.</HTML>