[DeTomaso] Four Days to Vegas / Two Cats Down

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Apr 22 13:13:23 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/21/07 11:53:34 PM, dfcex at pacbell.net writes:

<< 1) To get rod bearing dust out of oil lines and coolers, is solvant and
compressed air adequate or is a more aggressive cleaning required? >>

Physical scrubbing of lines and passages in a block with long thin tubular
brushes and solvent, or total replacement if you can afford it, are used by
pro-race teams. To clean a monolithic oil cooler is nearly impossible- some try
long sessions in a hot high-detergent ultrasonic washer- similar to what your
opthalmologist uses on eyeglasses & contact lenses,  but even that is no sure
thing and many oil coolers from blown motors wind up for sale cheap at swap
meets.  Which is why I push the use of Aeroquip or Laminova take-apart oil
coolers. These both can be disassembled and scrubbed while cleaning the welded or
soldered ones is always a gamble.

<<2- the viscosity of oil you should use is more dependent on the clearances
your builder set the engine up for. I'd go with his recommendation. Thicker oi
l has a cushioning effect but also requires larger bearing clearances for
adequate oil flow and temperature control,  So its all pretty much a juggling act
in a high rpm engine.  Good luck, Dan- J DeRyke
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's free at http://www.aol.com.</HTML>