[DeTomaso] cooling noises

Visit ProvaMo.com pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 22 00:36:50 EDT 2007

I'm back from the PCNC tech session, processing  photos and I guess I'm
ready for another WAG diagnosis...

I believe what you are hearing is boiling at "hot spots".  I think it
happens when there is a little air in the system.

I've heard it before on my car, soon after the coolant system was opened up.
Even though I thought I
purged the system completely.  My overflow bottle (the hose between the two
bottles) has a good seal.
So I let the system work out the bubbles.  Hot coolant expands, and pushes
excess into the second bottle.

When it cools and contracts, it will suck coolant back.  As long as you have
no leaks, it 'may' eventually work it self out.
(Otherwise it sucks back air and you perpetuate the problem.)

But the next time my system was opened, I jack up the rear higher (I also
have a slopped driveway) and REALLY
purged.  Note you need to run the engine until the thermostat opens to get
the air trapped behind it.

So if it is not much air bubbling, it MAY work itself out.

Good excuse to drive it regularly!  Hey honey I have to work out the
bubbles!

Chuck