[DeTomaso] Questions about Relays

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Sun Apr 22 00:24:38 EDT 2007

I finally found the source of the problem with my radiator fans on my early
Pre-L.

There is a single wire from fuse #7 to both the relay for the automatic fan
and the relay for the manually switched fan.  Inside one of the wrapped wire
bundles deep under the dash, that wire was badly fried.  I sniped it out and
put on a clean connector, so I now have a good 12 volts.  (Yeah, I know, I
should run a second wire, so each relay would have its own full source.)

I also found that the relay for the manual fan is not working.  I confirmed
that each of the four leads is good and doing what they are supposed to do,
but the current won't flow when the switch is activated.

For expediency reasons (headed to LV), I want to just want to pick up a
relay at a local store.  However, I am not knowledgeable about relays.  From
what I have been able to learn from the web, I need to get a SPST (single
pole, single throw) relay rated for at least 12v and 40 amps.  Is that
right?  Some like this?

http://store.classicgarage.com/hellarelay.html

The set up on the original relay is

- gray/black wire from switch on dash console; 0v when switch is off, 12v
when switch is on

- gray to ground

- yellow from fuse #7

- blue to manual fan

Next question -- how to hook up the new relay.  Using the diagram from the
URL above, I would hook it up as this:

30 - switch
87 - ground
85 - power from fuse