[DeTomaso] Solid lifter valve lash *Attention Dan Jones*

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 07:03:44 EDT 2007

Hi all,

A few months back, Dan mentioned that the Tom Monroe method for setting
valve lash in 3 engine positions was only valid for stock solid lifter cams,
but perhaps was not appropriate for a more aggressive grind due to a certain
amount of overlap.

I found the following procedure in the Cleveland Engine forum - sounds
reasonable but I wanted some other opinions:

There are two easy ways to set the lash, with a smaller solid roller you can
watch the cyl that is oposite in the firing order and when it is rocking set
the other cyl. Example when #6 ex and in are rocking (ex. closing and the
in. just opening) set #1 in. and ex. #5 rocking set #3 intake and ex. The
easest way to keep track of this is to write the firing order down putting
the first 4 cyl above the last 4

1 3 7 2
6 5 4 8

this method works good like I said for small solids, 2 revolutions of the
engine and the valves are all set. For a larger solid roller it is a bit
differant.

#6 rocking set #4in and #1ex
#5 rocking set #8in and #3ex
#4 rocking set #1in and #7ex
#8 rocking set #3in and #2ex
#1 rocking set #7in and #6ex
#3 rocking set #2in and #5ex
#7 rocking set #6in and #4ex
#2 Rocking set #5in and #8ex

This is the method I use, again 2 revs and the lash is set.
Rule of thumb if you are setting the lash cold:
cast iron block and cast iron heads .002 tighter than hot spec
cast iron block and cast Al. heads .004 tighter than hot spec
**********
What is the general public's feeling on the procedure? Appropriate?

If I understand the procedure correctly, when #6 cylinder has play on the
rocker, you set the lash on #4 intake and #1 exhaust.

Which cylinder is which? IE, driver's side, facing the passenger compartment
is 6? or 2?

Thanks!

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness across Europe"
http://members.aol.com/PanteraGT5S1985/