[DeTomaso] Alignment specs on '72 pre-L?

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Wed Apr 18 03:14:12 EDT 2007

> Tom I run 1/16th toe out for quicker turn-in.  It will reduce the tendency
> for understeer. I do not find it objectionable on the street.  The car
> does not seem to wander.
> A track performance advantage for those who dare challenge convention. JT

I ave run up to 1/2" toe out measured on the wheel (15"). That together with
the original 10" GT5 wheels. I wouldnt say that the car wander but it get
sensitive to steering input which some drivers may read as wander. A tight
roop
here of what is what. Anyway, the car is in no way dangerous or undrivable.
Another thing is that tire wear may not be as what we like, if this setting
is used
for regular street driving.

"Turn in" is what happen in the very beginning of the steering  in to a
corner,
right before all of the weight transfer has taking place. I wouldnt say that
this
part has to much to do with understeer, as I refer understeer to be  tire
grip
under steady state cornering condition. What could be contributing to
steady state grip as fare as "toe" setting is concerned is that the tires
should
point in the rolling-direction of travel with regards to slippangle.
Ths is a VERY tricky situation for what toe setting to use, as slipp and
Ackermann
(which is a toe factor) varies with speed and cornering radious.

Goran