[DeTomaso] MSD failure update....

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Apr 17 01:17:22 EDT 2007

Hi guys,

An update on my situation from yesterday:

Jim Seiferling, who has plenty of electrical/ignition smarts, came over this
afternoon and re-troubleshot the system; all clues pointed to a bad MSD box.
It was solidly bolted to the firewall, as far from the motor as possible (but
still rather close).

Zipped out to Kragen's and bought a new box; with my military discount it was
only about $20 more than it would have been from Summit--a small price to pay
for right-now service.

The rubber isolators are intended to be slipped through a piece of sheetmetal
(firewall etc) and secured on the back side with nuts, and then bolts thread
into the outside of them to secure the MSD box.  I have a double-firewall on
my car, so the inside isn't accessible.  This would have been a perfect
application for Rivnuts, but I didn't have any lying about, so instead I
hacked the
stud-end off the bushings and drilled them out, then we mounted the box using
sheetmetal screws (which is how the old box was mounted, minus the bushings).

It is now isolated both from vibration, and from radiant heat.  The stainless
steel firewall absorbs as well as reflects heat, and that heat would
undoubtedly be transmitted to the MSD box; having it stand off by a half inch or so
can only do it good.

The car fired right up once all the wires were hooked up--hooray!

We then tackled anomolies with my front turn signals and marker lights.  We
finally managed to get both of them working properly.  The driver's side was
malfunctioning because there was no bulb installed (DOH!!!!) and the
passenger's
side was dorked up because the wires from the harness to the light had been
hooked up incorrectly; the turn signal element was lit with the running light
circuit, and the running light element with the turn signal circuit.

We discovered these things only after we had chased wires, opened up
electrical connectors, shot everything in sight with WD40, etc. etc.  We wound up
wasting a couple of hours looking for complicated causes for what turned out to be
very simple problems, but at least I *know* the system is good now.

That's today, however, and this *is* a 35-year-old Italian car, after
all...so no promises about tomorrow!

Mike<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>