[DeTomaso] Engine dies

Garth Rodericks garth_rodericks at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 13 20:57:31 EDT 2007

I need a little help from the collective expertise on this list diagnosing why my engine mysteriously stops running.

  The problem first occured about 2-3 days ago.
  I started the car and began down my street, but the engine just died as I let out the clutch
  as if the key had been turned off. However the key was still on and all systems had power. I
  merely turned off the ignition switch and restarted the car and continued on my way. It did
  this several times over the last 2-3 days, sometimes dying while idling (also as if the key
  had been turned off). Each time I would restart the car and continue on my way.

  Today it wouldn't restart; just cranked over and over. All electrical connections are tight and
  secure, but no spark. After about 10 minutes it started. Then while driving home on the
  freeway it seemed to lose power for a second then had a loud "BANG" from under the car as
  if unspent gas was discharged to the mufflers then exploded and the car continued to run. It
  did this twice.

  So, what is the collective wisdom of the list?  Where should I start?  Whats the most likely
  culprit?  My 1year old MSD Blaster 2 coil?  My Mallory Unilite optical module? My 2 year
  old MSD ignition wires?  Any and all suggestions welcome.

  Thanks!
  Garth