[DeTomaso] Guara Setup in Pantera

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Apr 13 15:19:00 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/13/07 2:44:12 AM, montecarlo296 at yahoo.com writes:

<< I’m looking at pretty much replicating the Guara engine/gearbox
arrangement in my Pantera. I have a 4.0 BMW V8 engine – currently with auto flywheel.
Audi ‘boxes are 10 a penny here. Does anyone have details of the
flywheel/clutch/adaptor plate arrangement used on the Guara? >>

A few thoughts- the Guaras apparently used two different gearbox
arrangements- in the bellhousing, I think. The lower powered 4-L BMW V-8 used a pair of
spur gears between the flywheel/clutch and the gearbox, that allowed the engine
to be lowered in the car. If you have a hot-rod background, the setup is
similar to a Halibrand quick-change diff, and by custom-fabricating extra
gear-pairs, a ratio change could be done without digging into the differential. You
might also be able to fabricate stronger gear-pairs- the stock spur-gear setup
reportedly won't handle much higher torque than a stone-stock BMW delivers, and
the straight-cut spur gears whine loudly, at least in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. With
the DOHC 4.6 Ford factory-installed, the spur gear setup was discarded and this
arrangement allows power to go directly from the flywheel/clutch to the
gearbox.
Finally, replica GT-40s and kit-Countaches running Audi gearboxes report some
casting breakage when this gearbox is bolted to a more powerful U.S. V-8; if
they're that cheap, I suggest getting a spare. Or a stronger box to start
with. FWIW- J DeRyke<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See
what's free at http://www.aol.com.</HTML>