[DeTomaso] Axle Nut Torque

F&D Terry gt5s at bcpl.net
Wed Apr 11 08:12:09 EDT 2007

Mike,

The GTS bearing is not a double row bearing. The outer bearing remained
a single deep groove ball bearing but with an increased size and the
inner bearing was changed to a non tapered roller. The axle had a step
on the outboard end to accommodate the larger bearing. They were still
installed with improper tolerances and a spacer which did absolutely
nothing to remedy the problem of failing bearings. The spacer in both
early and late cars is a mild steel and squaring the ends will do
nothing to prevent future problems. As originally installed, the spacer
ends were square and failure always occurred. Because of the improper
fit of the bearings to the axle, fatigue starts when the bearings start
to squirm or rock on the undersized axle. This rocking spalls the ends
of the spacer as you say, making it shorter and total failure is
inevitable. Perhaps hardening the spacer may have acceptable results but
will do little to a improve the inherent poor design.

The remedy used to be installing tapered bearings but this is an
expensive endeavor without a good suitable method of sealing. I
 recently have found  one of the modern "cartridge" type bearings that
is an easy and excellent replacement for the outer bearing requiring
minimal machining to install. It is much wider and should remedy the
problem even when used with the undersized stock axles. If I find time,
I'll try converting an upright  so I can verify everything will work.

Fred T.