[DeTomaso] Mechanical Fuel Pump

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 10 22:10:52 EDT 2007

I realize you already have the pump on, but here's how I do it:

I find TDC on #1 (timing mark on zero), but with the rotor 180deg off from
#1.  That points the eccentric up which makes it the easiest to put the pump
back on.

I've experimented with bolting the top bolt on first, and then prying the
pump down.  That isn't necessary, however, if you have the eccentric pointed
the right way (up).

What kind of fuel pump did you purchase?  Be aware that cheapo Autozone fuel
pumps are crap.  I have a Holley chrome pump, which isn't as nice as their
high-po pumps you can get for Windsors.  It is cast iron, though, plus the
diaphragm looks like an old tire - nice and thick.  The cheapo Autozone pump
I had felt like it was pressed from a beer can and used old rubber gloves
for a diaphragm.  It lasted about 2 weeks.

The best pump I've seen is made by Rob Macquarrie.  I used to have a link to
his page, but I have a new computer w/out the link.  Here's a pic of one of
his pumps:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/message/1176251786/

They aren't cheap - probably in the $300-$400 range.  I'm going from memory,
so don't quote me.

Will.