[DeTomaso] Axle Nut Torque

Kirby Schrader kirby.schrader at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 08:01:01 EDT 2007

I used to have a 1964 Galaxie....
Old Ford rear-ends (diffs) had a one time crush sleeve to set the
preload on the pinion bearing.

Unfortunately, every time you'd dump the clutch at 4500rpm with big
tires on the back, you'd 'crush' it a little more and a little more
and finally the pre-load was gone, the pinion started moving around
and your ring gear was toast.

There was a special hardened 'racing sleeve' which had to be chosen
at the right thickness to get the pre-load and not 'crush' anymore.

Five rear ends later (a 3:50, a 3:50, a 4:11, a 4:57 and a 3:89) I
had learned the hard way. The last 4:11 lasted many many years.

Old war story....
FWIW,

Kirby