[DeTomaso] Mechanical Fuel Pump

David_Bell at oxy.com David_Bell at oxy.com
Tue Apr 10 07:39:05 EDT 2007

You should have the correct pump (at least you asked for the correct
pump).  I recently purchased one from NAPA using the same criteria and
it fit perfectly.  At the risk of stating the obvious, you realize that
the pump flange won't fit flush against the block until you've
compressed the spring on the pump lever.  Normally the mounting bolts
must be tightened for that to happen.

Dave Bell

I'm having a problem installing a stock mechanical fuel pump in my '72
#4010. The car had an electric fuel pump when I bought it. I thought
this was interesting but not too concerning. I decided to change it for
a stock mechanical pump. I bought a NAPA pump for a '71 Mustang with a
351 Cleveland, but unfortunately, the pump doesn't fit my Panera. The
flange/bolt hole locations are all fine. The problem is that the pump
flange doesn't fit flush against the flange on the block. It's like the
cam lobe is too large, and the pump arm can't deflect far enough to
allow the pump to sit flush on the block. I know the engine was rebuilt
by the owner previous to the owner I purchased the car from. I'm now
suspicious that the electric pump is there because there was a problem
fitting the mechanical pump after the engine was rebuilt. Any ideas??
Are there cams that fit a Cleveland that have larger diameter fuel pump
lobes?? Are there multiple fuel pumps for a Cleveland?? Could I just
have a model year mismatch problem??

Thanks Scott