[DeTomaso] Axle Nut Torque

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Apr 10 02:52:33 EDT 2007

Good move, Tony- 400 ft-lbs with tapered roller bearings will sieze and ruin
them instantly. That torque is only for BALL rear bearings with an internal
spacer. Converted tapered-roller rear wheel bearings will react just like
over-tightened tapered roller front-wheel bearings & burn up.
This bothered me too, so for my rear tapered roller bearing conversion, I
copied the mid-'70s Corvette specs with their rear tapered rollers and use only 25
 ft-lbs on the axle nut, with a positive mechanical lock to retain the
almost-loose nut. My positive lock is a 1/4-28 allen bolt threaded clear thru the
mating flange, positioned such that the end passes into one of the nut's stock
notches. MIne have held for thousands of miles since '98. The allen could be
further secured with safety wire, but I never added it. Others use red (or
green) Lock-tite on the axle nut and crossed fingers. Good luck- J DeRyke
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>