[DeTomaso] Axle Nut Torque

tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Mon Apr 9 23:16:12 EDT 2007

Been a while since I remember seeing this debate:  I'm about to re-assemble
upright assemblies with billet axles and roller bearings.  Would like to
hear your opinions justifying or challenging the need for 450 ft-lbs of
torque on the nut.

Usually such torques are intended to pre-stress tensile members to prevent
cyclic stresses and therefore fatigue.  I'm having a hard time convincing
myself that 450 ft-lbs of torque creates enough tensile stress in the billet
axle to achieve this end.  What do you think?