[DeTomaso] DeTomaso Digest, Vol 33, Issue 9- OIL COOLERS

RCBSONS1 at aol.com RCBSONS1 at aol.com
Mon Apr 9 14:01:05 EDT 2007

I have to disagree with the statement that no air flow is required
for an oil cooler to work properly...  I have finally figured out that
I have no air flow (looking at the bugs collecting) at the location
of my oil cooler which is just above the rear deck on my wing mounts.
I even installed a thicker oil cooler for airplane engines and it was
worse as I think it required the prop or higher air flow speed to work
properly.

Charile Puckett told me even a fan will not work for the task required
on a track or ORR car...  the problem is not going slow but going
fast at 6,800 rpm constantly on the track.

Going to water to oil type cooler... I think a stat is a must as
several have failed (ask MD) due to the cold thick oil hitting the
cooler and rupturing it... the new ones are supposed to be OK but
why chance it... again you need to push the car hard in order to
see high oil temperatures... I just back off a lap in a higher gear
and can see the temperature go down 15 degrees. Getting tired
of driving the car this way as I am an all out type of driver.

My personal experience

Bob Benson- Team Pantera #3