[DeTomaso] Oil pump pickup support...Nylocs in the oil

David_Bell at oxy.com David_Bell at oxy.com
Mon Apr 9 11:42:39 EDT 2007

Yes, I know that industry recommendation is to only use nylocs once.
But you can pretty much tell whether they are doing their job or not
just by threading them on and off.  If a nyloc is still offering
significant resistance, then I usually reuse it.  I usually include a
locknut anyway to keep them torqued and only rely on the nyloc insert to
stop the nuts from unscrewing themselves completely off due to
vibration.

I don't necessarily advocate that everyone else reuse nylocs
universally, but I feel comfortable doing it after I've inspected them.

Dave Bell

I believe using Nylocs is perfectly sane for the oil pan in the majority
of our cases. If you were track (or bench?) racing every weekend, maybe
you'd want to safety wire, but you'd likely also be pulling the oil pan
off a lot more frequently for inspection.

However, you do realize that Nylocs are 'single use' nuts and should not
be reused after removal, because the Nylon will rethread in a different
position destryiong the locking power.

Julian

Quote by Dave Bell;

"I've also had the pan off a couple of times over that 7 year span, most
recently last year to check and change out the rod and main bearings.
The nylocs in the pan were removed, inspected, and to my eye in perfect
condition both times. The same nylocs are still in the pan today."