[DeTomaso] Aluminum Chassis Braces

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Fri Apr 6 10:51:49 EDT 2007

John
Where can we see what these look like?
Mike Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: detomaso-bounces at realbig.com [mailto:detomaso-bounces at realbig.com] On
Behalf Of John Taphorn
Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 6:35 AM
To: detomaso at realbig.com
Subject: [DeTomaso] Aluminum Chassis Braces

Several list members have requested that I document the parts that I used
for the chassis braces on my Pantera.  I apologize for the delay and
appreciate the gentle reminders that members of the list have sent me.

I used JB weld to hold the mount brackets in place prior to welding.

The trickiest part of the installation is the front 20" cross brace and
mount brackets along with the two 12" triangulating rods and their mount
brackets in the front trunk.  As you try to optimize placement of the 20"
cross brace on the inner panel between the upper mounting ears of the two
front shock absorbers, you will potentially interfere with removal of the
brake booster and master.

I am using a Ford brake booster from a Lincoln Continental with a master
cylinder of an '87 SVO Mustang so your experience may differ.  In addition,
the direction of the mount brackets will determine your ability to
disassemble the triangulated assembly in the future.  Thus, pay close
attention to both assembly and disassembly in your layout of the mount
brackets.

I had the benefit of the booster out of the car and was able to experiment
with different assembly combinations until I found the best solution for my
car.  Most of my testing was to see how far back I could shift the cross
brace before I was blocked from removing and installing the booster/master
assembly.  The closer you can get the cross brace to the booster/master the
better as that will move the bar between the shock mounts where the load
from the suspension compression forces are focused.  The Hall kit, probably
in order to accommodate most cars, does not get the cross bar back far
enough between the two shock towers.  If you look at the relatively thin
gauge of the tub metal, It is my hypothesis that nestling the cross bar
between the two the shock mounts should be to ones advantage. For those
engaging the project, I will send you detailed photos of how I aligned my
brackets and the necessary clearance I figured out.

I broke the list into a front and rear section.  These parts are available
through Speedway Motors www.speedwaymotors.com

Parts for the three triangulated front braces that are located in the trunk.

a) 910-34158-12 ( two 12" aluminum tie rod sleeves)
b) 910-34158-20 ( one 20" aluminum tie rod sleeve)
c) 917-21000 ( six weld on shock mounts with spacer)
d) 117-0810L ( three aluminum rod ends LH Thread 5/8 shank .5 hole)
e) 117-0810 ( three aluminum rod ends RH Thread 5/8 shank .5 hole)
f) 315-9603 ( three aluminum jam nuts RH 5/8")
g) 315-9604 ( three aluminum jam nuts LH 5/8")

Parts for 2 rear cross braces that are above the ZF.

a) 910-34158-21 ( one 21" aluminum tie rod sleeve)
b) 910-34158-16 ( one 16" aluminum tie rod sleeve)
c) 917-21000 ( two weld on shock mounts with spacer - the longer sleeve uses
the original mounting brackets)
d) 117-0810L ( two aluminum rod ends LH Thread 5/8 shank .5 hole)
e) 117-0810 ( two aluminum rod ends RH Thread 5/8 shank .5 hole)
f) 315-9603 ( two aluminum jam nuts RH 5/8")
g) 315-9604 ( two aluminum jam nuts LH 5/8")

JT