[DeTomaso] Wilwood Wobble GONE!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Apr 5 17:17:54 EDT 2007

Hi guys,

I just got home from a quick jaunt in the Pantera, and I am thrilled to
report that my Wilwood-induced wobble is completely and totally gone!

Some may recall that a few weeks ago, I put a dial indicator on my rotors and
discovered that despite the fact I had turned the front ones only 400 miles
or so earlier, they were both warped to the tune of .008" (manufacturers allow
a tolorence of only about .002" before calling for the rotors to be turned).
It was far worse in the rear, where the rotors are mounted inside the axles
and thus aren't easily removed.  One side was out .015" and the other an
astounding .023"!

Fortunately, Garth Rodericks turned me onto the fact that Les Schwab tire
stores have machinery that allows them to turn the rotors on the car.  This is
truly the best way to turn rotors, because theoretically you could have a
perfectly flat rotor in your hands, but if the various components its mounted to
have slight variation, it manifests itself as undesirable runout.

This machine has a bit of magic inside.  It is bolted to the hub in place of
the wheel, and then it turns the entire axle and rotor assembly.  Various
sensors detect irregularities in about seventeen different planes--not only runout
of the rotor, but also of the hub too, and then it comes up with a solution
that will cancel out all these irregularities.

They had to take a ton of material off my rear rotors, which arguably
shortens their life.  But what good is a long-lived crooked brake rotor?  I was quite
pleased to see that the hat itself seems perfectly true, and the distortion
was limited solely to the rotor.  Whether that is due to poor manufacturing, or
if the mounting bolts between the hat and rotor were torqued unevenly, I
don't know.  Furthermore, at this point I don't care--all I know is that my rotors
are flat for the first time since I bought the car!

The slight pulsing and vibration is now totally gone. :>)

Here's a photo of this beastie in action:

http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/BrakeLathe.jpg

I know there are some of you (Jim Wallace most notably) who are borderline
suicidal because they can't get the vibration out of their Wilwood-equipped
cars.  If you haven't tried this, you need to give it a shot.

It cost more than turning them off the car; $79 for each end of the car.  But
it's money well-spent in my opinion!

Mike<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> See what's free at
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>