[DeTomaso] shift turnbuckle question

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Thu Apr 5 17:06:08 EDT 2007

In preparation for putting my motor back in, I was about to re-install the
shift linkage onto the long piece which goes from inside the car into the
engine bay, but I have some questions I'm hoping someone can answer.

1) the piece I'm discussion is the one with the universal-type joints on
either end; one end attaches to the transmission, the other to the long,
metal rod.  The piece has a turnbuckle in the middle, but it's not really
the middle; of the sections of the unit on either side of the turnbuckel
assembly, one section is longer than the other.  My question is, does the
longer portion go toward the rear of the car with its universal joint
attaching to the transmission, or does the longer portion face the front of
the car with it's universal joint attaching to the long rod that goes back
into the stick shift assembly?

2) Is there any better way of getting the universal joint (which has grooves
in its hole to match up with the ridges on the male rod) to open up so the
rod can slide into the hole, other than pounding a screwdriver into the
crack to try and force the hole to be bigger?

I appreciate any insights anyone can give me!  Thanks.

Chris #2813