[DeTomaso] Predicted mileage at 200 MPH

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 11:15:12 EDT 2007

Inspired by Michael, I found this:

  "NASCAR routinely states that the NEXTEL Cup restrictor plate reduces engine power from approximately 750 hp to approximately 430"

  The HP levels map inversely into the mileage values Michael found, which is what would be expected if mileage is inversely proportional to HP.  I didn't realize that the restrictor plates reduced HP so much.  Anyone know if that is fly wheel, or rear wheel HP?  I assume it's fly wheel.

  Ken

Michael Shortt <michaelsavga at gmail.com> wrote:
    From Wikipedia.

At race speeds, NEXTEL Cup cars get 2 to 5 miles per gallon. [11] [12] [13] Consumption under caution can be estimated at 14-18 mpg, based on comparable engines generally available to the public. Interestingly, the rate of fuel consumption tends to be the same regardless of the actual speeds of the cars, as teams change gear ratios for each race to ensure that the engine always operates in its optimum power band; however, the fuel mileage will vary for each race, depending on the maximum speeds attained.

  another site said this

  Suite101: NASCAR Glossary

"Question: On average, how is the gas mileage on the race cars?
ANSWER: Depending on the racetrack we get 6.5 miles-per-gallon (mpg)
to 7.4 mpg on restrictor-plate races and 3.5 mpg to 4.6 mpg on open
tracks."

  Michael Shortt

  On 4/4/07, David & Marilyn Bell <davidabell at worldnet.att.net> wrote:   I don't think that's low enough.  I routinely run my Pantera's 20 gallon
tank practically dry after 4 track sessions at TWS, which usually ends up
being very close to 100 miles.  That works out to only around 5 miles per
gallon through my 750 Holley using my measly 302 rwhp.  And I'm not even
running WOT all the way around the track as I do have to brake occasionally.

Dave Bell